Pages

May 05, 2010

Enough: a word study

This kind of inductive, word-study post is different than most of my blog posts, but if you stick with it, it's the kind of open-ended read that might lead you to something unexpected.

At church on Sunday one particular part of a song struck me differently than it has before.  It's a line from a song called "Because of Your Love:"

"You did it for me.
You did it for love. 
It's your victory.
Jesus you are enough."

It reminded me of another song called El Shaddai:

"El Shaddai, worthy king.
Lord most high, I believe.
You are God of more than enough
In you I trust, El Shaddai."

The meaning of the Old Testament Hebrew name for God, El Shaddai:
1.  It's most often translated in the Bibles we read as God Almighty.  This might tie in to the Hebrew word for mountain, 'shadu':

Genesis 17:1 - When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the LORD appeared to him and said, "I am God Almighty; walk before me and be blameless. 2 I will confirm my covenant between me and you and will greatly increase your numbers."

2.  Some think it sounds like 'shadayim,' a Hebrew word for breasts.  God supplying the needs of His people like a mother to a child.  This would go with a certain sense of fertility connected with the El Shaddai verses:

Genesis 29:25 - "by the God of your father who will help you, by the Almighty who will bless you with blessings of heaven above, blessings of the deep that crouches beneath, blessings of the breasts and of the womb."

3.  Some think Shaddai is composed of two parts: Sha, a relative pronoun and Dai, meaning enough or sufficient.  God in Himself is enough.  The Talmud explains it this way, but says that "Shaddai" stands for "Mi she'Amar Dai L'olamo" - "He who said 'Enough' to His world." God is not only sufficient in and of Himself, but also sets the limits on the world, even creation itself. 

Job 11:7 - "Can you search out the deep things of God? Can you find out the limits of the Almighty?" 

In English, enough:
–adjective
1.adequate for the want or need; sufficient for the purpose or to satisfy desire: enough water; noise enough to wake the dead.
–pronoun
2.an adequate quantity or number; sufficiency.
–adverb
3.in a quantity or degree that answers a purpose or satisfies a need or desire; sufficiently.
4.fully or quite: ready enough.

Enough means sufficient to satisfy the purpose, need, or desire. 

Sufficient in the New Testament:

2 Corinthians 3:4-6  Such is the confidence that we have through Christ toward God. 5 Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God, 6 who has made us competent (or sufficient) to be ministers of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit. For the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Is He enough for you?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails